Advanced Quality
Hazmat Industries

How to Know if You Are Being Poisoned by Your Own Home

Posted on July 1, 2014 in Blog

Poisoned GasMany families and individuals consider their homes to be a haven away from the cares of the world, but sometimes, this haven may be trying to kill you. There do not have to be ghosts or extremely dangerous conditions for a house to be dangerous, in fact, some compounds and substances in houses go undetected for years, slowing making the residents ill.

Lurkers in Homes and Building Nationwide

Most people are aware that past generations routinely used harmful substances in construction, but what people may not know is that these chemical compounds could be in their own homes. A few of the most prolific substances are:

This is a natural fiber that has been mined for thousands of years. It is amazing useful, but inhaling this mineral causes damage to the lungs and can even lead to certain cancers. When present in the home, it should be removed quickly and properly.

Lead is an element that is also useful in industrial processing and as a binder. It is most often found today in old homes, especially in paint. Lead poisoning happens slowly and injures the nervous system, effectively making a person crazy. Memory loss and kidney failure are just a few early symptoms.

Many people think they are safe from dangerous compounds in their home because they live in a new house, but mold can grow anywhere that there is moisture. Black mold, or Stachybotrys, is a species that is particularly dangerous. It causes allergy-like symptoms, such as sneezing, coughing, eye irritation, but can also lead to bleeding from the lungs and nose.

Polychlorinated biphenyl, or PCB, is another dangerous compound and it is found in old electrical systems. It was used commonly in industrial fluorescent lights, and must be disposed of properly to avoid contaminating residents of the building. Exposure to this compound causes skin irritation such as rashes, and it may lead to poor cognitive development in children.

Each of these lurking chemicals can make themselves known with a series of early warning signs. A chronic cough, noticeable memory lapses, and itchy skin are just a few of the symptoms to watch out for.

Protect Your Home by Removing Hazardous Materials

Each one of these chemicals poses a risk to anyone who comes into contact with them, but when they are present in a building or home is when they have the greatest chance of doing harm. AQHI Inc. is prepared to safely dispose of contaminated materials so that you and your family can live in the security of your home once more. Do not let these or other dangerous chemical invade your life and take action to remove them properly. Call us at 800-481-8080 to make an appointment to dispose of one or more of these unwanted materials.